Studio Review: Fierce Grace
"Fierce Grace studios do hot yoga only, and they do it well. Be prepared for Bikram temperatures (i.e. ~40°C). Quality instructors and loyal following. Options for all levels.
- Studios specializing in a new hot yoga method, offering a unique series of five classes based on the same core poses and principles but each with a different emphasis, duration and intensity
- Classes use elements from Bikram, Ashtanga, Power Yoga and Classical hatha sequences
Who’s Behind It:
- Michele Pernetta, one of the UK’s most well-known yoga teachers who was a student of Bikram Choudhury (hot yoga founder) for many years while she was recovering in LA from a martial arts knee injury. Michele also studied Ashtanga under Larry Schultz (father of Power Yoga)
- Brought Bikram Yoga to the UK when she returned in 1994
- Opened first studio, Chalk Farm, in 1999
- Whole body workout comprising of 39 poses (Classic) and 49 poses (Fierce Grace) over 90 minutes, with lots of balancing, stretching and twisting exercises
- Room heated to bikram temperatures so lots of sweating
- Fierce Grace class done to music but not intrusive to yoga practice; it is also more dynamic than Classic and includes certain more advance poses like crows
- Great, well-rounded dynamic workout. More active than traditional Bikram yoga
- Poses relatively straight-forward yet doesn’t feel like a simple workout so appears to be good class for all levels
- Excellent instructors across the board who are able to provide some individualized attention despite large class size and are very conscious of individual injuries"
Read the full article here.