Injury Modification Course
Tools for yoga and fitness instructors
40-hour Hybrid In-Person/Online certification in Injury Modification
with Michele Pernetta and Todd Taylor
This course combines a one day Live online Zoom session with a full weekend in-person (which can be live-streamed also for at home study) and self study at home of our online video materials.
In the yoga and fitness industry today, many more people are coming to class with injuries or issues, looking for a natural way to heal. It is important that instructors not just keep the person safe, but actually offer modifications that will help them in their quest for healing.
Our work is primarily grounded in yoga wisdom, which has informed many physiotherapy and rehabilitation exercises for decades. We have now expanded our classes and courses to include physiotherapy wisdom to provide a practical, wide-reaching set of tools for yoga teachers and fitness professionals to use to enhance whichever discipline they teach, and offer more options to their clients.
This course is registered with Yoga Alliance Professionals.
This 40 hour course is one of the first in-depth certifications for yoga teachers and fitness instructors to:
- Learn how to teach tried and tested exercises scientifically proven to stabilise and strengthen a range of injuries or issues
- Learn how to modify over 50 yoga postures that span all yoga styles and offer guidance for modifying many types of exercise or asana
- Understand how to not only modify for individuals, but how to do this on the spot within a class setting
- Learn how to include the student in the process so they can feel what works best for them
You will learn and practice how to:
- Work with common injuries including disc prolapse, sacrum and sacroiliac problems, hamstring injuries, psoas and hip issues, shoulder issues, sciatica and the main types of knee injury
- Suggest modifications for the above as well as unspecified pain with no apparent “cause”, arthritis and generalised joint pain
- Provide modifications for the main yoga asanas that span all yoga systems and learn principles for modifying all poses
- Practise teaching surprise injuries on the spot
- Learn which common asana alignment errors can cause injury or wear and tear even to a healthy body
- Understand how to work with neck, wrist, shoulder and other injuries
- Work with older students, the very stiff or overweight
- Recognise the safest option for students, fast
- Understand the yoga teachers role in a persons healing journey
This course is for teachers from all yoga and fitness backgrounds, from the new teacher to the more experienced, eager to increase their knowledge and understanding of how to work with injured students and provide alternatives and modifications for safety and stabilisation, particularly in group class settings.
Most injury trainings are geared to the one-on-one private class setting and most teachers work with injured students one-on-one. However many people prefer the support of a group class, and to not feel “different” just because they have a physical issue, and many can not afford a private session. So we also wanted to support teachers in addressing injured students needs in a busy class setting.
"As someone who has all sorts of injuries I have always been drawn to the inclusiveness of yoga and the fact that you can modify every pose to suit your personal conditions. As a new yoga teacher you can find yourself in a situations where you are not ready to facilitate a new or injured student's experience due to the lack of knowledge. This course helps to tackle that issue, you leave the course feeling more confident and positive about your teaching skills. One of the greatest realisations on the course was that there is no one way of doing things." - Diana Varakina
"The Fierce Grace Injury Modification course used a range of learning styles. I really enjoyed taking part in the practical techniques and paired work. There was plenty of opportunity for Q&A’s. I feel that the course has given me the confidence to support and empower students. I am able to take the principles learnt on the course and implement them into my sessions. Providing modifications for safety and rehabilitation with effective use of props. I feel the course has helped me improve my standard of teaching, taking it to the next level." - Shirley Jacobs
Course Syllabus Overview
- Lower back injury modifications
- Back, pelvis and sacrum anatomy
- Shoulder and hip anatomy
- Shoulder, neck and wrist modifications
- Hamstring Injuries and sciatica
- Anatomy of pelvis, knee and spine
- Knee injury modifications
- Arthritis and other issues
- The Stabilisation Sequences
- The psychology of pain
- Recognising an issue, approach, suggesting modifications to students
- Modification practise - work with a live person with pain in practical sessions
- Protocols around hands-on adjustments
- The role of the yoga teacher/coach in the arena of injury
- Trauma and the role of Pranayama and meditation in healing
- How to ensure the student is on the right track, signs, cautions, when to refer.
Example Schedule (Please note this is schedule is an example only - the final schedule timings and topics may be subject to change.)
We are delighted to have completed our On Demand video library to support your study.
This 2023 Hybrid online in-person course offers the best of at home learning with the dynamics of a live group class. Those who wish to participate remotely can watch the in person weekend on Zoom.
DAY 1 ZOOM
SUN DEC 3RD 12-7PM
Days 2 and 3 IN PERSON (OR WATCH LIVESTREAMED)
DEC SAT 9TH 10-6PM
SUNDAY 10TH 10-6PM
Total 20 hours
15 HOURS pre recorded content.
5 hours of homework.
Total 40 hours
About the course tutors
Michele Pernetta has taught over 300,000 students over a 27 year career and is the founder of Fierce Grace Yoga and the Course Leader of Fierce Grace Teacher Training. A personal student of Bikram Choudhury and Larry Schultz, Michele brought Hot Yoga to the UK in 1999. Michele's extensive experience and qualifications in Bikram, Ashtanga Vinyasa, Rocket, Martial Arts and Massage Therapy - as well as her decades of study in health and meditation - culminated in the launch of the Fierce Grace system in 2013. Michele personally healed her knees through yoga, and has helped countless students successfully work to stabilize a whole range of issues.
Todd Taylor is a Certified Massage Therapist and holds Full Body Certifications in A.R.T. (Active Release Techniques.) Todd is an Anatomy Specialist and as well as an experienced certified Ashtanga Yoga teacher and Pilates Instructor. He started his work in ART in San Francisco working with the Gaelic Football League and has received his training from leading physiotherapists and chiropractors in both the United States and Europe including Dr. Michael Leahy, developer of ART. He currently works in London treating patients at clinics and teaching yoga.
Course teacher: Michele Pernetta and Todd Taylor
Course Location: Fierce Grace North and Online Hybrid or all Online
Course Requirement: Certified Teachers from all backgrounds including Yoga, Pilates, fitness, etc.
Zoom: Sun Dec 3rd Live Zoom 12-7pm UK time
In Person: (or option to join in online via zoom) Sat Dec 9th 10-6pm, Sunday 10th 10-6pm
On Demand Content: Available from October 15th to the end of the course
If you have any questions, please email [email protected]